You can now enjoy Sandakan at your own pace. The Sandakan Heritage Trail is a comprehensive walk that covers the town's important and interesting sites which have contributed to her rich historical past. A leaflet will map out the entire trail for you to have a more comprehensive walk.
The walk will begin at the 100-year old Masjid Jamik, and then next to the Pryer Memorial, a granite structure erected to honour the founder of Sandakan, William B. Pryer. You will then climb the Stairs with a Hundred Steps which will lead you to a beautiful view of Sandakan town and bay. It also brings you to the famous Agnes Keith House.
Next spot will be the Remains of old staircase which is believed to be the remaining of the Consulate building of the pre-war Chinese Government. From restored colonial building like the Agnes Keith's House, to places of worship - St. Michael's and All Angels Church, Sam Sing Kung (Three Saints) Temple and Goddess of Mercy Temple, this one hour walk takes you back to over 100 years.
Begin at the Masjid Jamek at Lebuh Empat (Fourth Avenue), near Wisma Sandakan.
Tourist Information Centre, Wisma Warisan (near the Sandakan Municipal Council)
- Agnes Keith House
- Batu Tulug
- Gomantong Cave
- Kinabatangan River
- Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary
- Lankayan Island
- Libaran Island
- Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC)
- Sandakan Crocodile Farm
- Sandakan Golf & Country Club
- Sandakan Memorial Park
- Sandakan Town
- Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary
- St. Michael's and All Angels Church, Sandakan
- Turtle Island Park
- Double Six Monument, Kota Kinabalu (Capital City)
- Japanese Surrender Point, Labuan F.T
- Mat Salleh Memorial, Tambunan
- Murut Cultural Centre, Tenom
- Petagas War Memorial, Kota Kinabalu (Capital City)
- St. Michael's Church Penampang, Kota Kinabalu (Capital City)
- Starcevich Memorial, Beaufort
- Teck Guan Cocoa Museum, Tawau
- The Chimney, Labuan F.T
- World War II Memorial, Labuan F.T