In the early history of Chinese migration to Borneo, the late 1800’s, a lone man from South China, bearing an idol of Ta Pak Kung, came and settled in the Sugud Village of Penampang. The idol had been passed down through generations of caretakers and was finally settled to the present temple.
The temple has a beautiful tile roof with Chinese design at the edges and marble carved ornate wall and sculptured pillars. The amazing interior with it’s several beautifully decorated deities, become the focal point of worshipper and the faithful to pay their homage and seek divine protection.
The temple is located at the Donggongon Town Centre, off Jalan Taipakkung Donggongon, virtually behind the district’s main Library, about hundred metres north-east of the Tamu ground.